Halloumi burger with rutabaga fries
- 4 4 eggeggs
- 1½ tbsp 1½ tbsp (12 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp (10 g) baking powder
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp (25 g) chia seeds
- 9 oz. 250 g shredded cheese
- 1 lb 450 g rutabaga, peeled and sliced into strips
- 6 tbsp 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 14 oz. 400 g halloumi cheese, sliced
- 6 tbsp 6 tbsp butter, melted or coconut oil
- 4 leaves of iceberg lettuce
- 1 1 tomato, thinly slicedtomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1 avocado, slicedavocados, sliced
- 6 tbsp 6 tbsp sour cream
- 6 tbsp 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 6 tbsp 6 tbsp ajvar relish
- poppy seeds
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Use an electric mixer to beat the eggs until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients, add the grated cheese and then combine into the eggs, stirring well. Let sit to swell and rise for 10 minutes.
- Distribute 8 equal piles of batter on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 10–15 minutes until golden.
- Keep the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C).
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix melted coconut oil and cut rutabaga so that all strips are covered. Season with salt.
- Place the strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or on a rack on a baking sheet. Bake in oven until golden brown and soft inside, turning once while baking.
- Mix sour cream, mayonnaise and ajvar relish to make up the dressing. Let cool in refrigerator.
- Fry the halloumi cheese in butter or coconut oil until it turns a nice color and is soft, about 20 minutes.
- Build the burger and serve.
Instead of the cheese bread you can use these easy-to-make Oopsie breads! Either will be amazing with the burgers.
The cheese buns freeze well. To shorten prep time make the buns ahead and keep a stock in the freezer. Then all you need to do is thaw as needed.
The baked rutabaga fries won’t be as crispy as potato fries as they don’t contain as much starch but they taste great anyway.
If you cannot find Ajvar relish, you can subsitute with a low-sugar, hot red-pepper relish, such as Marco Polo Red Pepper Spread.