French onion soup
- 1¾ lbs (5 cups) 800 g (1.2 liters) yellow onionyellow onions
- 2 2 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 2 oz. 55 g butter
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups 700 ml water
- 2 2 vegetable bouillon cubevegetable bouillon cubes
- ¾ cup 180 ml white wine, dry
- 1 1 bay leafbay leaves
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried sage
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1¼ cups (4¾ oz.) 300 ml (140 g) gruyère cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp coconut flour
- ¾ tsp ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- 1 1 eggeggs
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Peel and thinly slice the onions and garlic. A food processor or mandolin makes this easier.
- Add butter and oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 30 minutes until soft. They should turn a nice golden color, not too brown.
- Add water, bouillon, wine, and spices. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low, and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the mug bread, grease a large flat-bottomed mug or glass dish with butter.
- Combine all dry ingredients in the mug with a fork or spoon. Crack in the egg and stir in the cream. Combine until smooth and make sure there are no lumps.
- Microwave on high (approximately 700 watts) for 2 minutes. Check if the bread is done in the middle – if not, microwave for a few more seconds.
- Let cool and remove from the mug. Slice in half and toast.
- Divide the onion soup between ovenproof bowls. Top with the bread slices and shredded cheese. Broil at 410°F (210°C) for 5-7 minutes, until the cheese has melted and turned golden.
Mug bread croutons
Feel free to mix different kinds of onions, the flavor will become even more exciting. Half of it could be yellow onions, then fill up the rest with red onions, shallots, white onions or leek. Use whatever you have at home!
Recommended special equipment
Food processor or mandolin, and microwave oven.
This recipe has not been tested in the crock pot.
Yes, that would be fine!
The mug bread is listed as a stand alone recipe at the link below and is 3g net carbs.
I am not sure the Cloud Bread would be the right texture from the mug bread. Here is the stand alone recipe for the mug bread which includes oven baking times and temperature.
There is not currently a cooking video for this recipe.