Creamy low-carb cauliflower risotto with spinach and goat cheese
- 12⁄3 lbs 750 g cauliflower
- 1¾ cups 425 ml heavy whipping cream
- 2 oz. 50 g butter
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp onion powder
- salt and ground black pepper, after taste
- 3 oz. 75 g parmesan cheese
- 3 oz. 75 g fresh spinach
- 5 oz. 150 g goat cheese
- 1 oz. 30 g pecans
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- Rinse and trim the cauliflower and shred with the coarse side of a grater, or divide into smaller florets and pulse in a food processor until rice-sized. For an even easier prep, buy your cauliflower riced, and skip this step.
- Add cream, butter, onion powder and lemon juice to a large skillet and heat until simmering.
- Add cauliflower and continue to simmer, stirring frequently, for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add coarsely grated parmesan cheese; it will melt as you stir it in. Stir for a few minutes.
- Chop the spinach coarsely and combine well.
- Serve with goat cheese, pecans and a splash of olive oil!
Just like with rice, some prefer a softer texture and some like it al dente. Be sure to test the cauliflower mixture frequently and get it off the heat before it becomes too mushy.
Yes, for a vibrantly green dish, try broccoli instead of cauliflower. Pay extra attention to taking it off the heat before it turns into a mash.
Storing the dish
This dish keeps for 2-3 days in the refrigerator and reheats easily in the microwave. Perfect for a lunchbox.