Creamy low-carb cauliflower mushroom risotto
- 12⁄3 lbs 750 g cauliflower
- 1¾ cups 425 ml heavy whipping cream
- 3 oz. 75 g butter, divided
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 oz. 75 g parmesan cheese
- salt and ground black pepper
- 10 oz. 275 g shiitake mushroomshiitake mushrooms or mushrooms, sliced
- 2 2 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp fresh thyme or fresh parsley
- 2 oz. 50 g parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- Rinse and trim the cauliflower and shred with the coarse side of a grater, or divide into smaller florets and pulse in a food processor until rice-sized.
- Add cream, half of the butter, onion powder and lemon juice in a large skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Add cauliflower and simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently, for 15-20 minutes or until it becomes as tender as you like it.
- Add coarsely grated parmesan cheese and let it melt while you mix it in. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the cauliflower risotto is simmering, fry the sliced mushrooms and garlic in the rest of the butter until golden. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a small, dry skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts. Stir constantly to prevent burning. Toast until they get some color.
- Add the fried mushrooms to the risotto and stir to combine. You can also add the mushrooms on top.
- Serve risotto with freshly chopped herbs and some extra parmesan. Top with toasted pine nuts and sprinkle with olive oil.
Just like with rice, some prefer a softer texture and some like it al dente. Be sure to test the cauliflower mixture frequently and get it off the heat before it becomes too mushy.
Yes, for a vibrantly green dish, try broccoli instead of cauliflower. Pay extra attention to taking it off the heat before it turns into a mash. You can use any kind of mushroom you like or substitute it for seafood or other source of protein.
Storing the dish
This dish keeps for 2-3 days in the refrigerator and reheats great in the microwave. Perfect for a lunchbox.
This recipe has been test-kitchen approved.