Spanish low-carb almond cake (Tarta de Santiago)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, crack the eggs and add the sweetener. Using an electric mixer, or a hand whisk, beat together until smooth.
- Add the lemon zest and the cinnamon powder, and beat again.
- Add the almond flour, little by little, and integrate it with the help of a spatula, making enveloping movements.
- Grease a 10" (25 cm) springform pan with butter, and pour the mixture into it. Spread the mixture evenly with a spatula.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool down before removing it from the pan.
- To decorate the cake traditionally, cut the cross of Santiago on cardboard and place it on the cake. With the help of a sieve, sift and spread the sweetener powder over the cake. Then carefully remove the paper cross.
To make the Santiago cross, we recommend using a cardboard cutout. This way, the cross will be firmer and more resistant and will not bend when lifting it.
Recommended special equipment
- Electric mixer
- 10" (25 cm) springform pan