Protein strawberry vanilla mug cake
- 1 1 large egglarge eggs
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp erythritol
- 1 tsp 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp whey protein isolate (unflavored)
- ½ tsp ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 oz. 55 g fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
- Combine the egg, cream cheese, sweetener, and vanilla in a mug with a small whisk or a fork.
- Add the whey protein and baking powder. Mix until combined. If you want a super smooth batter, you can use an immersion blender. Add the strawberries.
- Microwave at 600 W for 1 minute if you want it to be custardy. If you prefer a more more cake-like dessert, microwave for 30 seconds more. Remove and allow to cool for one minute before serving. See the tip below for instructions using a conventional oven.
- Enjoy straight from the mug or turn the cake out onto a plate for a more elegant presentation.
To bake your mug cake in the oven, bake at 350°F (175°C) for 12-14 minutes, or until the cake is springy to the touch when pressed in the middle.
You can use any other low carb berries such as raspberries or blueberries. If you eat liberal low carb you can try banana.
No fresh berries? Use frozen berries! Just thaw in the microwave before adding to the batter.
Dust it with powdered sweetener and serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprig of fresh mint for an impressive presentation!
Using flavored protein
If you're using flavored whey protein powder, skip both the sweetener and vanilla extract. Make sure that the protein powder contains low carb friendly sweeteners. Try to stay away from maltitol, for example, as this has been shown to raise blood sugar and increase insulin response.