Low-carb strawberry cake with vanilla buttercream
- 4 4 egg yolkegg yolks
- ¾ cup 175 ml heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp (25 g) erythritol
- 3½ oz. 100 g butter
- ½ tsp ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups 300 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb 450 g fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 365°F (185°C).
- Separate the eggs. Place the yolks in a small saucepan and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. It takes a few minutes.
- Add the sweetener and continue whipping. Melt the butter and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix together quickly but don't whip for too long.
- Grease a springform cake pan (about 10 inches / 27 cm in diameter) with butter. Pour the batter in the cake pan and spread out evenly with a spatula.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. If you're serving the cake the next day, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to cool completely overnight.
- Combine the cream with the egg yolks in the saucepan over low heat, and whisk thoroughly. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the butter. Keep whisking until the cream thickens. Make sure the cream doesn't start boiling, because then you'll get scrambled eggs instead of vanilla cream, which we would like to avoid in this case. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the butter into smaller pieces and add to the cream. Stir until melted and evenly combined.
- Allow to cool. Place in the refrigerator to cool completely, preferably overnight.
- Pour the vanilla cream in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.
Assembling and decorating
- Divide the cake horizontally in the middle, so you get two even layers. Place the bottom layer on a nice cake stand.
- Spread the vanilla cream on the cake and top with the second layer.
- Whip the cream until fluffy but not too stiff. Spread over the whole cake or use a piping bag if you're going for a more elegant look.
- Cut the strawberries into wedges or slices. Decorate the cake with the strawberries as you like. For an extra touch of summer, top with some beautiful flowers.
Feel free to vary the flavors by adding grated lemon zest or lime zest in the vanilla cream, and top with berries in season.