Low-carb rutabaga fritters with avocado
- 15 oz. 450 g rutabaga
- 8 oz. 225 g halloumi cheese
- 4 4 eggeggs
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp (20 g)
- 1⁄8 tsp 1⁄8 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 oz. 110 g butter, for frying
- 4 4 avocadoavocados
- 51⁄3 oz. 150 g leafy greens
- Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C).
- Rinse and peel the rutabaga. Grate coarsely with a grater or in a food processor. Shred the cheese the same way.
- Mix the rutabaga, cheese, eggs, coconut flour, turmeric, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Let sit to absorb flour for 3-5 minutes.
- Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, until melted.
- Form the batter into 12 patties.
- Working in batches, fry for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip, and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Reserve cooked patties to warm oven. Repeat until all the batter is gone.
- Serve cooked fritters with a green salad, sliced avocado and a dollop of ranch-flavored mayonnaise.
Have fun with this recipe! These fritters are amazing as they are, but there are also lots of ways to “guild the lily.” Add fresh or dried herbs to the batter. Spice them up with chili flakes. Switch up the cheese to play with different depths of flavor. Or double the umami with a touch of tamari. They’re your delicious blank canvas!