Low-carb nougat treats
- 7½ oz. 210 g dark chocolate with a minimum of 80% cocoa solids
- ½ cup 125 ml coconut oil, divided
- 14 oz. 400 g , only the solid part
- 8 tbsp 8 tbsp peanut butter or other nut butter of your liking
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp (5 g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt half of the chocolate using a water bath or by microwaving on low heat. Add one quarter of the coconut oil and mix well.
- Pour into a greased and parchment paper-lined form, (about 5 x 8 inches, if making 40 treats) and let cool in the fridge or freezer.
- Carefully heat the solid part of the (canned) coconut milk in a different pan. Let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add half of the coconut oil, the nut butter, cocoa powder and vanilla while stirring. Mix into a smooth batter. If the batter separates, use a hand-held mixer and pulse a few times to make it smooth.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Put the pan back in the fridge or freezer to cool again while melting the rest of the chocolate as in step 1.
- Add the the remaining coconut oil to the chocolate and combine. Spread in a layer over the chilled nougat. Put back in the fridge and let sit for at least an hour, preferably longer.
- Cut into 30-40 small pieces. Keep in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer. The nougat is best served slightly chilled.
Make a water bath by placing a heat-proof bowl over a pot with simmering water. Don't let the water touch the bottom of the bowl. Place the chopped chocolate in the bowl and stir until melted. Be careful not to let any water in your chocolate or it will curdle. You can use butter or ghee instead of coconut oil if you like.