Low-carb eggplant roll-ups
- 1½ lbs 650 g eggplant
- 7 oz. 200 g cream cheese
- 7 oz. 200 g (425 ml) shredded cheese
- ½ cup 125 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp 60 ml fresh basil
- 1 1 eggeggs
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup 225 ml tomato sauce, unsweetened
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup 225 ml sour cream or crème fraîche, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Slice the eggplant into half-inch slices lengthwise and place the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Salt and let sit for ten minutes. Dry off excess liquid with paper towels or a clean tea towel.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the eggplant has softened and begun to brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Raise the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C). Mix together all other ingredients, except for the tomato sauce and oil, in a bowl together with 2/3 of the shredded cheese. (Reserve 1/3 of the cheese for baking.)
- Spread out half of the tomato sauce in a baking dish.
- Spoon the cheese batter onto the eggplant slices; roll up each slice and place the rolls seam-side down in the tomato sauce.
- Pour the rest of the tomato sauce all around the roll-ups and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese turns bubbly and has turned golden.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche.
Eggplant isn't the only veggie that can roll with it. Try this dish with zucchini, too!
Feel free to serve the roll-ups with our excellent herb butter and a green salad or avocado instead of the sour cream if you want to add more fat and an extra touch of freshness.
This recipe has been test-kitchen approved.