Roll up eggplant and you'll roll out a tasty low-carb dinner. They're vegetarian. They're super cheesy. That's how they roll. So get rolling.
- 1½ lbs 700 g eggplant
- 7 oz. 200 g cream cheese
- 7 oz. 200 g shredded cheese
- 8 tablespoons 120 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons 60 ml fresh basil
- 1 1 eggeggs
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 240 ml tomato sauce, unsweetened
- 3 tablespoons 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup 240 ml mayonnaise, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Slice the eggplant into half-inch slices lengthwise and place the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Salt and let sit for ten minutes. Dry off excess liquid with paper towels or a clean tea towel.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the eggplant has softened and begun to brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Raise the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C). Mix together all other ingredients, except for the tomato sauce and oil, in a bowl together with 2/3 of the shredded cheese. (Reserve ⅓ of the cheese for baking.)
- Spread out half of the tomato sauce in a baking dish.
- Spoon the cheese batter onto the eggplant slices; roll up each slice and place the rolls seam-side down in the tomato sauce.
- Pour the rest of the tomato sauce all around the roll-ups and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese turns bubbly and has turned golden.
- Serve with a dollop of mayonnaise or herb butter and a green salad.
Eggplant isn’t the only veggie that can roll with it. Try this dish with zucchini, too!