Low-carb broccoli mash
- 1½ lbs (7½ cups) 650 g (1.7 liters) broccoli
- 2 oz. 55 g butter or olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp fresh basil or fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced (optional)
- Chop the broccoli into florets and peel and cut the stem into small pieces. Boil the broccoli in plenty of salted water for a couple of minutes – just enough to retain a somewhat firm texture. Discard the water and let the broccoli steam off for a while to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Blend with the butter or olive oil, fresh herbs (optional) in a food processor, or use an immersion blender. Salt and pepper to taste.
You can use either frozen or fresh broccoli with this recipe. If you use fresh broccoli, save the stalk, peel it with a sharp knife and slice thinly. Cut the rest of the broccoli into smaller florets of roughly equal size. Feel free to substitute olive oil for some of the butter in any proportion you choose.