Low-carb banana bread
- 2 (7 oz.) 2 (200 g) very ripe banana, cut in smaller piecesvery ripe bananas, cut in smaller pieces
- 6 6 large egglarge eggs
- 6 tbsp 6 tbsp butter melted
- 2 tsp 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups (12 oz.) 700 ml (325 g) almond flour
- 4 tsp 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp 2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄8 tsp 1⁄8 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add the banana, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter to a food processor or a medium-sized bowl if you are using an electric hand mixer. Mix until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until well-combined.
- Line a loaf pan 9" x 5" (23 x 13 cm) with parchment paper and fill with the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until you insert a knife and it comes out clean. Check the loaf halfway through. If the top is getting too brown, cover loosely with tin foil.
- Let cool on the rack for at least 30 minutes. Cut in slices and enjoy with butter or low-carb nut butter.
Get creative! You can add more spices to the batter like cardamom and nutmeg, or top the loaf with a few crushed nuts, seeds, or low-carb sugar-free chocolate chips.
Some like it sweeter
This banana bread is only slightly sweet due to the natural sugar in the banana. If you prefer sweeter banana bread, you can add up to 1/4 cup of erythritol or low-carb sweetener of choice.
How to store banana bread
Banana bread can keep for 1-2 days on the countertop, but we suggest keeping it in the fridge where it will last for up to 1 week in an airtight container. You can also slice and freeze our healthy, low-carb banana bread for a month or more. Take out a slice and heat when you need it!
What is the most common mistake with banana bread?
There are two common mistakes. One is not waiting until the banana is ripe. The riper the banana, the sweeter it is. Since this bread has no sweetener, the bananas must be very ripe and spotty, almost brown.
The second mistake is baking it too long. If you make it too long, the bread can come out dry. Make sure to check the bread every 5 minutes or so after the 30 min mark to see if it's done.
Aren't bananas high in carbs?
Yes, a medium-sized banana does have around 24 grams of carbs, but in this recipe, we have included high protein eggs and almond flour so that only a small amount of banana is included in each portion.
Recommended special equipment
- Food mixer or an electric hand mixer