Loaded baked cauliflower casserole
- 4 oz. 110 g bacon
- 1 lb 450 g cauliflower
- 2⁄3 cup 160 ml
- 2 cups (8 oz.) 475 ml (230 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Chop the bacon into small pieces. Fry until crispy in a hot frying pan. Reserve the fat for serving.
- Break the cauliflower into florets. Boil until soft in lightly salted water. Drain completely.
- Chop the cauliflower roughly. Add sour cream and garlic powder, if you're using any. Combine well with 3/4 of the cheese and most of the finely chopped chives. Salt and pepper.
- Place in a baking dish and top with the rest of the cheese. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with the bacon, the rest of the chives, and the bacon fat that adds a nice extra flavor and taste.
If you don't want to use your oven, you can microwave the cauliflower until the cheese has melted - especially if you have a microwave with grill function.
If you don't have any fresh chives at home, you can use dried chives or any finely chopped mild onion.
This casserole works great as a simple meal with a crispy salad or as a side dish.