Grated egg & avocado toast on 5-minute protein mug bread
- 1 tsp 1 tsp soft butter
- 1 1 large egglarge eggs
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp whey protein isolate (unflavored) or pea protein powder (unflavored)
- ½ tsp ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- Grease a flat-bottomed mug with butter.
- Crack in the egg and cream cheese. Combine with a fork or tiny whisk until as smooth as possible.
- Add the almond flour, whey protein isolate, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Microwave on medium-high (approximately 700 watts) for 2 minutes. Check if the bread is done in the middle — if not, microwave for another 15-30 seconds.
- Let cool for a minute and remove from the mug. Slice the bread in half and toast it.
- Split the avocado in half. Remove the pit and mash the avocado in its skin with a fork. Spread the avocado on the toasted bread.
- Grate the eggs on top. Season with salt and pepper. If you like a bit of heat, finish it off with a splash of hot sauce. Serve open-faced or sandwich style.
Instructions for baking in the oven
If you're making more than one mug bread, you might find it easier to use the oven method.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C), and grease a 4.5-inch (10 cm) wide, oven-proof mug. You can also use large cupcake liners, in which case there's no need to grease them. Instead, add the butter (melted) to the batter.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Add the melted butter, egg and cream cheese, whisking until smooth. Make sure there are no lumps. Pour the batter into the prepared mug(s) or cupcake liner(s).
Bake for 10-15 minutes. Insert a toothpick or sharp knife into the middle of the bread. If the toothpick comes out clean, it's done.
Let cool and remove the bread from the mug(s) or cupcake liner(s). Slice in half and toast for the best texture and taste.
These are best enjoyed fresh. To cut down on prep time, make your own dry baking mix.
Simply combine 10 tablespoons (150 ml) almond flour, 10 tablespoons (150 ml) whey protein isolate, 1 teaspoon salt, and 5 teaspoons baking powder, and store in an air-tight container.
This dry mix will make 10 servings. Use 2 generous tablespoons for each piece of bread, and just whisk in the egg and cream cheese to make the batter.
Storing the bread
Another time-saver: prepare several servings of batter at once. Keep the raw batter in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, or freeze in individual portions. It will thaw in a few minutes at room temperature.
Spice it up! Season the bread with herbs or spices, like ground fennel and cumin. It's also lovely with poppy, chia, hemp, or sesame seeds. Use about 1⁄2 teaspoon of seasoning for each piece.