Creamy low-carb broccoli and leek soup
- 1 (3 oz.) 1 (90 g) leekleeks
- 10 oz. 280 g head of broccoli
- 3 cups 700 ml vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 7 oz. (4⁄5 cup) 200 g (210 ml) cream cheese
- 1 cup 240 ml
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup (¾ oz.) 120 ml (21 g) fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1 garlic clove, pressedgarlic cloves, pressed
- 1½ cups (6 oz.) 350 ml (170 g) cheddar cheese, or edam cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp ½ tsp paprika powder
- Prepare the leek by giving it a quick rinse, pat it dry, and then trim off the rough, green tips. Slice the remaining leek, into thin circles, and discard the root. Next, fill a bowl with cold water and add the sliced leeks. Move them around in the water to remove any remaining dirt or sand, and then strain, and pat dry.
- Cut off the core of the broccoli and slice thinly. Divide the rest of the broccoli into smaller florets, and reserve.
- Place the leek and the sliced broccoli core into a medium-size pot. Add the vegetable stock and salt. Cover, and bring to a boil for a few minutes, until the broccoli can be easily pierced with a knife.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, and add the broccoli florets. Simmer for a few minutes, until the broccoli is bright green and tender. Add the cream cheese, cream, pepper, basil, and garlic.
- Blend with an immersion blender until desired consistency. If the soup is too thick, thin it out with water. If you’d like it to have a slightly thicker consistency, add a touch of heavy cream.
- Preheat oven at 400°F (200°C). Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place mounds of the shredded cheese by the tablespoon, 1" (2.5 cm) apart on the parchment paper. Sprinkle each mound with paprika.
- Bake on the middle rack, for about 5-6 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Serve on the side with the broccoli and leek soup.
Add different herbs and spices to the cheese mounds for different flavor profiles. Oregano, a touch of cayenne, fresh thyme, or rosemary can all make these chips uniquely and utterly irresistible!