This low-carb soup is the “classic black dress” of meals. It can go anywhere and do anything. It can be a lunch or a dinner, an entrée or an appetizer. And it loves, loves, loves extra accoutrements, like these cheese chips!
- 1 1 leekleeks
- 2⁄3 lb 300 g broccoli
- 8 oz. 225 g cream cheese
- 3 cups 750 ml water
- 3 oz. 75 g butter or olive oil
- 8 tablespoons 120 ml fresh basil
- 1 1 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- 4¼ oz. 120 g cheddar cheese or edam cheese
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- Rinse the leek thoroughly and chop finely, both the green and the white parts. Cut off the core of the broccoli and slice thinly. Divide the rest of the broccoli into smaller florets, and reserve.
- Place the leek and the sliced broccoli core in a pot and cover with water. Season with salt, and bring to a boil for a few minutes on high heat until the broccoli stem is just easily pierced with a knife.
- Add the florets and garlic. Lower the heat and simmer for a few minutes, until the broccoli is bright green and tender.
- Add cream cheese, butter or olive oil, freshly ground black pepper, and basil. Blend with an immersion blender until desired consistency.
- If the soup is too thick, thin it out with water. If you’d like it to have a slightly thicker consistency, add a touch of heavy cream. Serve with egg muffins or cheese chips.
- Fit a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Grate the cheese, and place mounds by the tablespoon on the parchment. Leave 1 inch between the cheese mounds.
- Top each cheese mound with paprika.
- Bake in oven at 400°F (200°C) until the cheese has melted, about 5-6 minutes. Enjoy with a soup or as a snack.
Add different herbs and spices to the cheese mounds for different flavor profiles. Oregano, a touch of cayenne, fresh thyme, or rosemary can all make these chips uniquely and utterly irresistible!