Vegetarian meatballs with fried Napa cabbage
How to make meatless 'meatballs' that actually taste fantastic and satisfy both vegetarians and meat lovers? We'll let you in on a secret... or actually two: with almond and cheese! These tasty low carb veggie balls served with red pesto and fried Napa cabbage will sweep everyone off their feet.
- ½ lb (1½ cups) 220 g (375 ml) almonds or almond flour
- ½ cup (2½ oz.) 120 ml (75 g) sesame seeds
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 3 eggeggs
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) yellow onion, shreddedyellow onions, shredded
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
Easy tomato pesto
- 1 oz. (½ cup) 28 g (120 ml) sun-dried tomatosun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1⁄3 cup 80 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1½ lbs 650 g Napa cabbage
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp light olive oil
- sea salt
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Mix almonds and sesame seeds in a food processor along with spices and husk powder until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients except for olive oil and mix until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Shape walnut-sized balls with a teaspoon or well-oiled hands, so the mixture doesn't stick. Don't make them too big as they will expand during parboiling.
- Boil plenty of lightly salted water or mild broth in a saucepan. Add balls into the boiling water in several batches, depending on the size of your saucepan.
- Lower the heat when balls start floating to the surface and simmer for 3-4 minutes more. Remove and allow to drain.
- Heat butter or oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Fry balls for a few minutes until they get a nice golden color.
Easy tomato pesto
- Soak sun-dried tomatoes in lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes, if dried. Drain. Mix tomatoes and lemon juice roughly with a hand mixer.
- Add oil and keep mixing until combined well. Salt and pepper to taste. Add basil, garlic, and some more lemon juice and oil if needed.
- Roast cabbage in oven 440°F (225°C) with olive oil and sea salt for 15 minutes or fry in a pan.
These vegetarian balls are a delicious alternative to meatballs that you can spice according to season or taste. Try with curry, various herbs, or even allspice for Christmas!
Recommended special equipment
Hand mixer or food processor