Vegetarian meatballs with fried Napa cabbage
- ½ lb (1½ cups) 220 g (375 ml) almonds or almond flour
- ½ cup (2½ oz.) 120 ml (75 g) sesame seeds
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 3 eggeggs
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) , shredded, shredded
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 oz. (½ cup) 28 g (120 ml) sun-dried tomatosun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1⁄3 cup 80 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1½ lbs 650 g
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp light olive oil
- sea salt
- Mix almonds and sesame seeds in a food processor along with spices and husk powder until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients except for olive oil and mix until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Shape walnut-sized balls with a teaspoon or well-oiled hands, so the mixture doesn't stick. Don't make them too big as they will expand during parboiling.
- Boil plenty of lightly salted water or mild broth in a saucepan. Add balls into the boiling water in several batches, depending on the size of your saucepan.
- Lower the heat when balls start floating to the surface and simmer for 3-4 minutes more. Remove and allow to drain.
- Heat butter or oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Fry balls for a few minutes until they get a nice golden color.
Easy tomato pesto
- Soak sun-dried tomatoes in lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes, if dried. Drain. Mix tomatoes and lemon juice roughly with a hand mixer.
- Add oil and keep mixing until combined well. Salt and pepper to taste. Add basil, garlic, and some more lemon juice and oil if needed.
- Roast cabbage in oven 440°F (225°C) with olive oil and sea salt for 15 minutes or fry in a pan.
These vegetarian balls are a delicious alternative to meatballs that you can spice according to season or taste. Try with curry, various herbs, or even allspice for Christmas!
Recommended special equipment
- Hand mixer or food processor