Low carb Spanish tuna pie (empanada gallega)
- 2 2 eggeggs
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) yellow onion, dicedyellow onions, diced
- 1 (5 oz.) 1 (140 g) green bell pepper, choppedgreen bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (120 g) red bell pepper, choppedred bell peppers, chopped
- 11 oz. 300 g tomato sauce
- 9 oz. 260 g tuna in olive oil, drained
- salt or ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1 eggeggs
- 1½ cups (6 oz.) 350 ml (170 g) almond flour
- 1½ cups (6 oz.) 350 ml (170 g) mozzarella cheese
- 1½ oz. (3 tbsp) 45 g (45 ml) cream cheese
- 2 pinches 2 pinches salt
- 1 1 egg yolk to give the crust a shiny golden coloregg yolks to give the crust a shiny golden color
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Boil water in a medium-sized pot. Lower the eggs carefully in the water with a slotted spoon and let them cook for 10 minutes. Once they are cooked, remove them from the water and place them in a bowl of cold water to peel them more easily. Peel and chop them.
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil. Add the bell peppers and onions and stir-fry with a pinch of salt for 15 minutes until the onion is translucent and the peppers are very soft.
- Add the tuna and the tomato sauce and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the chopped hard-boiled eggs and stir again to integrate them into the mixture. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the egg, almond flour, and salt. Stir together.
- In another bowl, add the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese and microwave for two minutes, watching closely to make sure it does not burn. Mix well with the help of a spatula. Then add to the egg and flour mixture.
- Knead well with moistened hands until a homogeneous dough ball is formed.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts, one larger for the base and the other slightly smaller, for the top.
- Roll out the larger half between two sheets of baking paper, with the help of a rolling pin, into a rectangular shape the size of the baking dish or pan to be used.
- Take the top sheet of parchment paper off, leaving the bottom layer of parchment paper underneath, and place in a rectangular pan. Add and spread the filling evenly over the bottom layer of dough, leaving a margin of 1 cm at the edges.
- Using the same method, roll out the other half of the dough again between two sheets of parchment paper. Once the dough is rolled out, remove both sheets and place the dough on top of the filling. With a fork, tuck and score the edges well to seal the pie.
- Using a kitchen brush, brush the top of the empanada with the egg yolk. Bake for 30 minutes.
Assembling the pie
For an authentic Spanish experience, enjoy the empanada once it has cooled.
Once made, you can enjoy it for 2 or 3 days. For best preservation, we recommend that you store it in a cool place, cover it with a cloth and keep it away from heat sources or sunlight.
Yes, you will want to drain it first. Thanks for asking! We've updated the instructions.
Thank you for your feedback! Our team updated the ingredient list to include the egg yolk for brushing the crust.
I need to know in case that mine is bigger to multiply. Mine is approx 10 inch diameter (5 inch radius). Thank you