Grilled salmon with avocado topping
- 1½ lbs 650 g salmon, boneless fillet, preferably with skinsalmon, boneless fillets, preferably with skin
- 1 tsp 1 tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- Add some oil to a paper towel and then coat the grill grates with the paper towel.
- Preheat the grill on medium-low heat with the lid down, until the temperature reaches approximately 300°F (150°C).
- Pour olive oil over the salmon fillets and thoroughly rub in on both sides. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grease the grill with some more oil with the help of a paper towel to make sure the salmon won’t stick.
- Place the salmon on the grill, skin side down, and close the lid. Grill for 10-15 minutes, depending on how well done you want it. Check every now and then.
- Cut avocados in half. Remove the seeds and spoon out the flesh. Chop into small pieces.
- Dice onion into medium-sized pieces and chop the cherry tomatoes into quarters.
- Add everything into a bowl. Drizzle with lime juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and combine well.
- Divide avocado topping and serve on top of salmon pieces.
No grill prep
You can fry the salmon with some butter in a frying pan on bake in the oven 400°F (200°C) for 15–20 minutes, or until the salmon is done and flakes easily with a fork.
Matt and Megha's tips
If you don’t have salmon with the skin on, put the salmon on a piece of aluminium foil before placing it on the grill. Otherwise you risk it getting stuck and falling apart.
Salmon with skin has a higher fat content and also tastes better.
Recommended special equipment