Spanish low carb tortilla
- 10 oz. 280 g cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) yellow onion thinly slicedyellow onions thinly sliced
- 6 6 egg beateneggs beaten
- ¼ cup 60 ml light olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper, for seasoning
- Add water and salt to a large saucepan with a steamer insert, filling just under the steamer basket. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the cauliflower, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until tender (see tip). Place on a plate, and shred cauliflower into small pieces.
- Over medium heat, add half of the olive oil to a medium-sized, non-stick pan. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Stir together and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until onions become translucent. During the last 2 minutes, add the shredded cauliflower and stir to combine. Set aside to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a medium-sized bowl. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the onion mixture to the eggs, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the same pan, over medium/high heat. Pour in the egg mixture and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the edges begin to set. Place a large plate over the pan, and flip the tortilla onto it. Return to the pan to fry the other side, for 1 or 2 minutes, depending on the desired juiciness, or until golden brown (see tip).
- Slice into wedges and serve hot, or cold.
Alternatively, cook the cauliflower in salted boiling water, for 15 minutes; drain.
Instead of flipping the tortilla in the pan, after the first 3-5 minutes, place oven-proof pan 10” (25 cm) away from the broiler, and broil, until golden brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
Eat it warm or cold, as in Spain, with a good piece of low carb bread.
This tortilla also works very well with turnip instead of cauliflower, because of its texture and appearance, which is similar to that of potato.
Large saucepan with a steamer basket and cover.
10” (25 cm) non-stick pan (medium-sized), or 10” (25 cm) non-stick, oven-safe pan.
Thank you for noticing! We have added the tips.
'pretend' foods never lived to my expectations, but this (and my wife who knows her Tortilla!) completely agree on how incredible the taste on this one is!
I reduced carbs more by using 120g Shallots and with UK ingredients, this meant a tidier ~7g net carb per serving
That sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing your tips.
That should work fine!