Slow-cooked keto pork roast with creamy gravy
- 2 lbs 900 g pork shoulder or pork roast
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp salt
- 1 1 bay leafbay leaves
- 5 5 black peppercornblack peppercorns
- 2½ cups 600 ml water
- 2 tsp 2 tsp dried thyme or dried rosemary
- 2 2 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 1½ oz. (71⁄3 tbsp) 45 g (110 ml) fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- drippings from the meat
- 1½ cups 350 ml
- Preheat the oven to low heat: 200°F (100°C).
- Place the meat in a deep baking dish and season with salt. Add water to cover 1/3 of the meat. Add bay leaf, peppercorns, and thyme. Place the baking dish in the oven for 7–8 hours, covered with aluminum foil.
- If you're using a slow cooker, do the same thing in step 2 but only add 1 cup of water. Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Remove the meat from the baking dish, and reserve the pan juices in a separate pan.
- Turn the oven up to 450°F (220°C).
- Grate or finely chop garlic and ginger in a small bowl. Add oil and pepper and stir well to combine.
- Rub the meat with the garlic/herb mixture.
- Return the meat to the baking dish, and roast for about 10–15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cut the meat into thin slices and serve with the creamy gravy and side dishes of your choice.
- Strain the reserved pan drippings to remove any solids. Boil and reduce to about half the volume.
- Pour into a pot with the whipping cream and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes or to your preferred consistency.
Let the recipe work for you! There are a few different ways to use the long-cooking time to your advantage. You can either start it early in the morning and put the finishing touches on in time for dinner. Or you can start in the evening: slow-cook it overnight, and just set the roast aside in the fridge during the day. Make the sauce and do the final cooking when you get home.