Keto BBQ ribs with creamy squash salad
- 3 lbs 1.5 kg thin spare ribs
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp
- ½ ½ , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups 475 ml (475 g) canned whole tomatoes
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 lbs 900 g or squash
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 3 oz. 75 g (175 ml) celery stalk, thinly slicedcelery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 oz. 50 g , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 1 cup 225 ml mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Salt the ribs on both sides and place them in a slow cooker. Mix all of the ingredients to the BBQ sauce in a medium-sized bowl. Add half of the BBQ sauce to the slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low heat.
- Take out the ribs and let them cool. (You can complete this step a day in advance if you wish.)
- Finish off the ribs on the grill or under the broiler. Crisp up the surface of the meat; this takes about 15 minutes total. Flip the racks over at the half-way point.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan and stir in the tomato paste. Add the onion and fry over medium heat until soft and glossy.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of water and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the spices, tomatoes, and vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let simmer for 15-20 more minutes. Blend the sauce with an immersion blender until it reaches a smooth consistency. Let cool. (If you want a thicker sauce, let it simmer longer until it reaches the desired consistency.)
- Peel and cut the squash into cubes that are about 1/2" (1.5 cm) square. (If necessary remove the seeds first.) Salt them and place them in a colander. After 5-10 minutes, carefully press out the excess water.
- Sauté the squash in butter for a couple of minutes over medium heat. Do not overcook. The squash should be firm and the cubes should have a nice golden color around the edges. Set aside and let cool.
- Mix the other salad ingredients in a big bowl; fold in the squash.
- Serve the ribs with the squash salad and the rest of the BBQ sauce.
You don't need a slow cooker to make delicious ribs! Try boiling them in a couple of litres of salted water. Remove the foam on the surface using a slotted spoon. Let boil slowly for 1.5-2 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove ribs and marinate in the BBQ sauce for a couple of hours or over night. Then, continue according to the step 3, above.
You can prepare the salad 1-2 days beforehand. It becomes even tastier if you let the flavors mingle in the fridge.
Recommended special equipment
- Slow cooker
- Immersion blender