Keto BBQ ribs with creamy squash salad
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) yellow onion, finely choppedyellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups (1 lb) 475 ml (475 g) canned whole tomatoes
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 lbs 1.4 kg thin spare ribs
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1½ lbs 650 g zucchini or squash
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 3 oz. (¾ cup) 85 g (200 ml) celery stalk, thinly slicedcelery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 oz. (9 tbsp) 55 g (130 ml) scallion, finely choppedscallions, finely chopped
- ½ cup 120 ml mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan and stir in the tomato paste. Add the onion and fry over medium heat until soft and glossy.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of water and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the spices, tomatoes, and vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let simmer for 15-20 more minutes. Blend the sauce with an immersion blender until it reaches a smooth consistency. Let cool. (If you want a thicker sauce, let it simmer longer until it reaches the desired consistency.)
- Salt the ribs on both sides and place them in a slow cooker. Add half of the BBQ sauce to the slow cooker and cook the ribs on low heat for 6-8 hours. Keep the other half of the BBQ sauce in the refrigerator for serving.
- Take out the ribs and let them cool. (You can complete this step a day in advance if you wish.)
- Finish off the ribs on the grill or under the broiler to crisp the surface of the meat; this takes about 15 minutes. Make sure to flip the ribs over after 7-8 min to crisp both sides.
- Peel and cut the squash into cubes that are about 1/2" (1.5 cm) square. (If necessary, remove the seeds first.) Salt them and place them in a colander. After 5-10 minutes, carefully press out the excess water.
- Sauté the squash in butter for a couple of minutes over medium heat. Do not overcook. The squash should be firm, and the cubes should have a nice golden color around the edges. Set aside and let cool.
- Mix the other salad ingredients in a big bowl; fold in the squash.
- Serve the ribs with the squash salad and the rest of the BBQ sauce.
You don't need a slow cooker to make delicious ribs! Try boiling them in a couple of liters of salted water. Remove the foam on the surface using a slotted spoon. Let boil slowly for 1.5-2 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove ribs and marinate in the BBQ sauce for a couple of hours or overnight. Then, continue according to step three above.
You can prepare the salad 1-2 days beforehand. It becomes even tastier if you let the flavors mingle in the fridge.
Recommended special equipment
Slow cooker, immersion blender.
Also, if you use MyFitnessPal you can add a recipe and just put all the ingredients in and it will tell you how many carbs you have in each dish. But remember it doesn't give you net carbs so you'll have to deduct the fiber yourself and get your net carbs. Much easier than trying to use google.
D’après les infos que j’ai ,je devrais prendre environ 98 gr. De lipides par jour , cette recette en contient déjà 92
Est-ce à dire que je ne mange pas de lipides au repas suivant ?
Step 1 of the instructions indicates to use the low heat setting in a slow cooker.
Step 4 addresses the rest of the sauce - it's added at the end, or on your plate.
I did put 2tsp Erythritol in my mix and next time I won’t put half the sauce aside for later. I’d rather it was all in the slow cooker as I didn’t need it later but thought that more sauce in the cooker would have been better. Plus it tasted much nicer out of the slow cooker than it had from the saucepan.
I also made the side dish, using courgettes (zucchini) and I love, love, loved it. Goodbye potato salad. I thought I loved you but I’ve moved on.
Yes, the BBQ sauce is prepped first and then half is added to the ribs and half is used with the serving at the table.
Hi, Sarah! Check this out from the Tip section! "You don't need a slow cooker to make delicious ribs! Try boiling them in a couple of litres of salted water. Remove the foam on the surface using a slotted spoon. Let boil slowly for 1.5-2 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove ribs and marinate in the BBQ sauce for a couple of hours or over night. Then, continue according to the step 3, above."
Thank you for your feedback! I have let our recipe team know.