Low-carb ground turkey chili
- ½ cup 125 ml olive oil
- 1½ lbs 650 g ground turkey
- 4 4 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz. 425 g canned, diced tomatocanned, diced tomatoes
- 1 cup 225 ml water
- 6 oz. 175 g tomato paste
- 1½ tbsp 1½ tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch red pepper chili flakes
- 1 1 medium zucchini, diced
- ¾ cup 175 ml sour cream
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot and then sauté in it ground turkey with garlic until browned, about 12-14 minutes.
- Leaving out the zucchini, add the emaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- About 10 minutes before serving, add in chopped zucchini and cook until soft.
- Serve the chili together with a dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche and sprinkle with finely chopped chives for a splash of extra color and flavor.
Optional cooking methods
The chili can be prepared early and allowed to cook in the slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours on low. The zucchini would then be added during the last half hour of slow cooking on low.
To speed up the cooking time, an electric pressure cooker can be used. After browning the meat on the sauté setting, add in the other ingredients (except the zucchini) and allow it to cook at high pressure for 15 minutes, then do a quick pressure release. Add in the zucchini and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes then do another quick pressure release. Then zucchini will be cooked and the chili ready to serve.
Along with sour cream, feel free to also serve with grated cheddar cheese or diced green onion on top.