Low carb goulash with butter-fried cabbage
Tickle your senses with the flavors in this classical Hungarian stew. It’s filled with the savory flavors of pepper, tomato, and caraway. Serve it with delicious butter-fried cabbage. Yes, we said it. Butter fried cabbage.
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (220 g) yellow onionyellow onions
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (240 g) red bell pepperred bell peppers
- 8 oz. 230 g celery root
- 4 oz. 110 g butter
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 14 oz. (12⁄3 cups) 400 g (400 ml) crushed tomatoes
- ¾ cup 180 ml water
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 pinch 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs 900 g chuck roast, cut into 0.5" (1.5 cm) pieces
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 lbs 900 g green cabbage, shredded
- 4 oz. 110 g butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup 240 ml sour cream or mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Dice onions, bell peppers, and celery into 0.5" (1.5 cm) pieces. Heat half the butter in a frying pan and fry until the vegetables are golden. Add garlic and stir.
- In a large thick-bottomed pot or pan. Add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, water, and spices. Bring to a boil, then lower to medium heat and let simmer.
- Meanwhile, cut the meat, fry it in the remaining butter until it has turned a nice color, and add salt and pepper. Add the meat into the pan with the vegetables.
- Boil for at least two hours on low heat. Stir occasionally. Add more water if needed. Salt and pepper to taste towards the end.
- If you're using a slow cooker: Place all ingredients, except for water, in the cooker. Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Shred the green cabbage and fry in butter until golden. Lower the heat towards the end and season to taste.
- Serve the goulash with freshly fried cabbage and a dollop of sour cream or mayonnaise.
For quicker cooking time, start with a more tender cut of meat. Goulash made with lamb can be delicious, too!
Instead of butter, you can choose ghee for frying and mayonnaise for serving for a dairy-free option.
Recommended special equipment
det var jättegott
I love the ease of using the slow cooker! Thanks for sharing!