Portobello steaks with avocado chimichurri
- 4 (12 oz.) 4 (325 g) portobello mushroomportobello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat the grill for 20-30 minutes on medium-low heat with the lid down.
- Clean the portobello mushrooms and remove the stems. Brush with olive oil on both sides, season with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms on the grill, stem side down with the lid open. Grill for 5 minutes on each side. Brush them with some more olive oil when flipping, to keep them juicy.
- In the meantime, cut the jalapeño into pieces. Remove the seeds first if you don’t want it to be too spicy. Chop garlic and shallot.
- Cut avocados in half. Remove the pit and scoop out the flesh. Cut into pieces.
- Add chopped veggies to a food processor. Squeeze in lemon juice, add olive oil and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Blend until you get a nice chunky mix.
- Remove mushrooms from the grill and put on a plate with stem side down.
- Serve with chimichurri on top. Sprinkle with sea salt.
Use a cast iron skillet and cook the mushrooms on the stove top on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes per side.
You can also grill the portobello mushrooms in the oven on 400°F (200°C) for 15-20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
Recommended special equipment
If you want the mushrooms to be more cooked through, you can grill them with the lid down a little longer. If you do that, cook on a lower heat to avoid them getting too soggy.