Low carb spinach and feta tart
- 1½ cups (6 oz.) 350 ml (170 g) almond flour
- 1½ cups (4 oz.) 350 ml (120 g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 3 egg white (reserve yolks for filling)egg whites (reserve yolks for filling)
- 4½ oz. (41⁄3 cups) 130 g (1 liter) fresh spinach or frozen spinach
- 4 4 eggeggs
- 3 3 egg yolkegg yolks
- 11⁄10 lbs (2 cups) 500 g (475 ml) ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup 60 ml Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ¼ cup 60 ml
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 4½ oz. (4⁄5 cup) 130 g (210 ml) feta cheese, crumbled
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and line a 9" springform pan.
- Place all of the crust ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Press the dough into the pan, using your fingertips to make it thin and even. Use a fork to prick holes in the crust to prevent the dough from bubbling.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then allow to cool while you make the filling.
- Place a pot of water on the stove over high heat, until boiling.
- Blanch the spinach leaves in the boiling water for about 30 seconds. Then gather the spinach with a strainer and plunge it into ice-cold water. Transfer the spinach to a colander and press the spinach to release any excess water. Puree the spinach until smooth in a food processor.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, egg yolks, ricotta cheese, parmesan, cream, salt and pepper.
- Pour this mixture into the tart crust and dollop the spinach over the top.
- Swirl the spinach through using the blade of a knife.
- Dot the feta over the top and bake for 40 minutes or until the filling has set in the center.
- Serve with a tossed salad for a complete meal.
Pack in slices for meal prepping. Freezes well.
Add tin foil strips to the crust edge to prevent burning.