Low-carb mushroom cauliflower risotto
- 1 (2 lbs) 1 (850 g) large cauliflower
- 1 cup 240 ml vegetable stock
- 9 oz. 260 g mushrooms
- 2 2 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 1 (1 oz.) 1 (30 g) shallotshallots
- 1 cup 240 ml
- ¾ cup 180 ml white wine
- ½ cup (11⁄3 oz.) 120 ml (40 g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz. 110 g butter
- salt and pepper
- fresh thyme
- Bring the stock to a boil and set aside.
- Chop the mushrooms and fry in butter until golden.
- Finely chop shallot and garlic and add to the mushrooms.
- Coarsely grate cauliflower and add to the pan.
- Add half the wine and all of the stock.
- Let simmer uncovered until the liquid starts to boil down. Pour in the remaining wine. Add the cream, and simmer until the cauliflower is soft and most of the liquid has disappeared.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese. Garnish with fresh thyme.
Add some variety! Chopped asparagus makes a lovely addition to risotto, as do thin slices of leek. Feeling particularly decadent? Try tossing some cooked, diced bacon or pancetta into the mix.