Keto Swedish saffron buns
- 8 8 eggeggs
- 6 tbsp 6 tbsp (75 g) erythritol
- ¾ tsp ¾ tsp saffron
- ¾ cup 175 ml
- 7 oz. 200 g (425 ml) almond flour
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp (25 g)
- 4 tsp 4 tsp (13 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 4 tsp 4 tsp (20 g) baking powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- 32 32 almonds
- 2 tsp 2 tsp butter, melted
- 1 1 egg, for brushingeggs, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Beat eggs, sweetener and crushed saffron until fluffy. Pour in the cream and stir.
- Combine the rest of the dry ingredients (except almonds) and make sure there are no lumps. Stir everything in the egg mixture and whisk until you get a smooth mixture. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 16 pieces and shape them into an S-shape or into round buns. Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush with slightly beaten eggs. Press in the almonds.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 10-12 minutes, depending on oven, size and number of buns.
Gluten-free doughs that contain psyllium husk can be quite sticky compared to regular wheat flour dough. Feel free to read more about how to use psyllium husk in baking.
Don't knead the dough just make sure to shape the buns quickly. Don't use almond flour when rolling the buns. The best way is to have well-oiled hands when rolling and to brush the rolling surface with melted butter. Gently lift the shaped buns with a spatula onto the baking sheet.
The buns taste best when freshly baked. Freeze if you don't eat them all the same day. Thaw at room temperature for a few minutes then gently heat in the microwave or in the oven (300°F/150°C) for a few minutes.