Keto Croque Monsieur
- 8 oz. 225 g (250 ml) cottage cheese
- 4 4 eggeggs
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp (8 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp butter or coconut oil for frying
- 51⁄3 oz. 150 g smoked deli ham
- 51⁄3 oz. 150 g cheddar cheese
- ½ ½ finely chopped red onionfinely chopped red onions (optional)
- 3½ oz. 100 g lettuce
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Mix in the cottage cheese. Add ground psyllium husk powder while stirring to incorporate it smoothly, without lumps. Let the mixture rest for five minutes until the batter has set.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat. Add a generous amount of butter and fry the batter like small pancakes for a couple of minutes on each side, until they are golden. Make two pancakes per serving.
- Assemble a sandwich with sliced ham and cheese between two of the warm pancakes. Add finely chopped onion on top.
- Wash and tear the lettuce. Mix oil, vinegar, salt and pepper into a simple vinaigrette. Serve the Croque Monsieur warm beside lettuce dressed with the vinaigrette.
Put a fried egg on top and you'll have a Croque Madame! Equally fancy sounding, and equally delicious.