Keto Croque Monsieur
French cuisine... Croque Monsieur sounds so much more up-market than a fried ham and cheese sandwich, non? Either way, our keto version will have you enjoying every bite! Can you say "oh là là"?
- 1 cup (7½ oz.) 240 ml (210 g) cottage cheese
- 4 4 eggeggs
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp butter or coconut oil for frying
- 5 oz. 140 g smoked deli ham
- 5 oz. (1¼ cups) 140 g (290 ml) sliced cheddar cheese
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) finely chopped red onionfinely chopped red onions (optional)
- 3½ oz. (2¾ cups) 100 g (650 ml) lettuce
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Mix in the cottage cheese. Add ground psyllium husk powder while stirring to incorporate it smoothly, without lumps. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes until the batter has set.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat. Add a generous amount of butter and fry the batter like small pancakes for a couple of minutes on each side, until they are golden. Make two pancakes per serving.
- Assemble a sandwich with sliced ham and cheese between two of the warm pancakes. Add finely chopped onion on top.
- Wash and tear the lettuce. Mix oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper into a simple vinaigrette. Serve the Croque Monsieur warm beside lettuce dressed with the vinaigrette.
Put a fried egg on top and you'll have a Croque Madame! Equally fancy sounding, and equally delicious.