French cuisine... Croque Monsieur sounds so much more up-market than a fried ham and cheese sandwich, non? Either way, our keto version will have you enjoying every bite! Can you say "oh là là"?
- 8 oz. 225 g cottage cheese
- 4 4 eggeggs
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon ground psyllium husk powder
- 4 tablespoons 4 tablespoons butter or coconut oil for frying
- 51⁄3 oz. 150 g smoked deli ham
- 51⁄3 oz. 150 g cheddar cheese
- ½ ½ finely chopped red onionfinely chopped red onions (optional)
- 3½ oz. 100 g lettuce
- 4 tablespoons 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon ½ tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Mix in the cottage cheese. Add ground psyllium husk powder while stirring to incorporate it smoothly, without lumps. Let the mixture rest for five minutes until the batter has set.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat. Add a generous amount of butter and fry the batter like small pancakes for a couple of minutes on each side, until they are golden. Make two pancakes per serving.
- Assemble a sandwich with sliced ham and cheese between two of the warm pancakes. Add finely chopped onion on top.
- Wash and tear the lettuce. Mix oil, vinegar, salt and pepper into a simple vinaigrette. Serve the Croque Monsieur warm beside lettuce dressed with the vinaigrette.
Put a fried egg on top and you’ll have a Croque Madame! Equally fancy sounding, and equally delicious.