Grilled fresh onions
- 1 lb 450 g fresh yellow onionfresh yellow onions
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- The onions can be cooked either in the oven or on the grill. The methods and results are slightly different but equally tasty.
- To use your oven, preheat it to 400°F (200°C). Split the onions in half, lengthwise and place them in a baking dish.
- Drizzle oil and lemon juice on top and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until the onion is soft and nicely browned. For more color, turn the broiler setting on for a couple of minutes towards the end. Keep a close eye while broiling to ensure that the onions don't burn.
- If the onions are going to be cooked on the grill, combine the oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Spit the onions in half, lengthwise, and brush them with the lemon/oil mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill for 10-15 minutes depending on size; turn every few minutes.
- Serve right off the grill, or at room temperature. Drizzle with the remaining oil and lemon juice right before serving.
If you can't find these young, fresh onions in your market, feel free to substitute Vidalia or Spanish onions, sliced about 3/4 of an inch thick.