Saffron fish soup with aioli
This light and flavorful soup is deliciousness defined. Fennel and saffron make the base for this scrumptious meal – and the aioli provides a kiss of creaminess. Hello, gorgeous!
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) yellow onion, finely choppedyellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 2 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1 fresh fennel bulb, chopped
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp tomato paste
- 8 (5 oz.) 8 (140 g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 pinch 1 pinch saffron
- 2 cups 475 ml water
- 2 2 fish bouillon cubefish bouillon cubes
- 1¼ cups 300 ml sour cream or crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 1½ lbs 650 g salmon, boneless filletsalmon, boneless fillets or white fish fillet, cut into 1x1" (2.5 cm) pieceswhite fish fillets, cut into 1x1" (2.5 cm) pieces
- fresh parsley or fresh dill, finely chopped
- ½ cup 120 ml mayonnaise
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Fry onion, garlic, fennel, and saffron in olive oil on medium heat until the vegetables have softened a bit. Add the tomato paste.
- Cut the tomatoes in halves, add to the pot and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add water and crumbled bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil and let simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sour cream and lime juice and bring to a boil. When the soup is hot again, carefully add the fish and let simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes until the fish is cooked.
- Mix together mayonnaise, garlic and parsley to taste. Serve with the soup.
If you don't want to make your own aioli, just use some non-flavored sour cream or herb butter. Sprinkle with extra parsley for an extra pop of color!
Make the soup even more appetizing by topping it with some shrimps right before serving.
Thank you! Fixed it now.
a) when the soup is wwell cooked take it off the stove and let it cool down a bit, than add 2-3 tablespoons of soup to the sour cream and mix it in before you pour it into the soup
b) use creme fraiche instead - it is more fatty but also more stable in hot dishes
Thanks for sharing! Glad you enjoyed it!
If you are using dill instead of parsley, you would add the dill in Step 5 which includes adding the parsley.
I want to make this for dinner tonight but no crème fraiche so can I substitute with full fat Greek yogurt?
Yes, that should work fine! Sour cream would work, as well.