Low carb golden pumpkin spice soup
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 4 oz. (2⁄3 cup) 110 g (160 ml) finely chopped, finely chopped,
- 2½ oz. (72⁄3 tbsp) 70 g (110 ml) , halved lengthwise and sliced across, halved lengthwise and sliced across
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp grated, fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups 475 ml vegetable stock or broth
- 1½ lbs 650 g frozen cauliflower
- 10 oz. 280 g pumpkin puree
- 6 tbsp 6 tbsp hulled hemp seeds
- 8 oz. (1 cup) 230 g (240 ml) cream cheese
- 2 cups 475 ml
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Place 1/2 of the butter in a heavy-based pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and red bell pepper (save some for garnish) and cook until softened. Stir in the ginger, turmeric, salt, pepper, and vegetable stock.
- Add the cauliflower and pumpkin, stirring until combined. Cover and cook on medium-high heat for 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
- While the soup cooks, melt the remaining butter in a small pan over medium-low heat, and add the hemp seeds. Stir frequently, until the seeds are toasted and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Place the contents of the pot into a high-speed blender, working in batches if needed. Or mix it in the pot with an immersion blender. Add the cream cheese and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Return mixture to the pot and stir in the heavy cream, nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon. For serving, top with a swirl of cream, reserved red peppers, and toasted hemp seeds.