Low-carb gingerbread cookies
- 3 oz. 75 g butter at room temperature
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 6 tbsp 6 tbsp (50 g)
- 2 tsp 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix butter and cream cheese until smooth using a handheld or stand mixer. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Shape the dough into a flat disk, cover it in plastic wrap, and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes or more. Cold dough is easier to handle.
- Place the chilled dough between two sheets of non-stick parchment paper on a baking sheet and roll it thin, about ⅙ of an inch (4-5 mm).
- Remove the upper paper and use a cookie cutter of your choice to shape your cookies. Allow some space between each one. Remove the dough between your cookie shapes with a small spatula or knife, being careful to leave the cookies in place on the parchment paper. (The dough is soft and difficult to lift off the bottom parchment paper, so leave the cookies on the paper.) Form the dough you removed into a ball and chill if necessary. Repeat until all of the dough is formed into cookie shapes on parchment paper.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 10 minutes, until golden brown. Be careful not to burn the edges.
- Take the cookies out of the oven and let them cool completely on a rack before you remove them from the parchment. Store in a container with a lid.
We suggest serving these gingerbread cookies with a schmear of butter and some crumbled blue cheese. It may sound like an odd combination, but it makes for a delicious treat and a sophisticated flavor combination for a holiday hors d'oeuvre.