Oh, wow. Are you going to love this dish. It’s loaded with salty goodness, and smoky flavors from the charred bell peppers. Combine that with a cool and creamy cucumber salad? Be prepared to fall in love!
- 1¼ lbs 550 g halloumi cheese or other cheese suitable for frying, for example paneer or saganaki
- 11⁄3 lbs 600 g red bell pepperred bell peppers
- 8 tablespoons 120 ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4¼ oz. 120 g cream cheese
- ¾ cup 180 ml mayonnaise
- 2 oz. 60 g cucumber, diced
- 2 oz. 60 g dill pickle, choppeddill pickles, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons dried mint
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (225°F) if possible, using the oven's broil function.
- Place the bell peppers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The peppers can be whole or divided, depending on size and kind. Broil until the skin starts bubbling and turning a little black.
- It will take about 10-15 minutes, depending on the oven. Turn them after half the time. You can also use an outdoor grill or a grill pan.
- Mix all ingredients for the cucumber salad. Place in the fridge while you fry the cheese in a little olive oil, a few minutes on each side. Place cheese, bell peppers and salad on plates and serve.
To minimize splattering, dry off excess liquid from the cheese before adding it to the frying pan. You can also garnish the dish with fresh oregano, for an extra floral layer to the dish.