Keto BLT with oopsie bread
Just the mere mention of “BLT” and the clouds start to part! With this mouthwatering, keto version, you can dive in and indulge! Go for it!
- 3 3 eggeggs
- 4¼ oz. 120 g cream cheese
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp (4 g) ground psyllium husk powder (optional)
- ½ tsp ½ tsp (2.5 g) baking powder (optional)
- 8 tbsp 8 tbsp mayonnaise
- 5 oz. 150 g bacon
- 2 oz. 50 g lettuce
- 1 1 tomato, thinly slicedtomatoes, thinly sliced
- fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Separate the eggs; put the egg whites in one bowl and the yolks in another.
- Whip egg whites together with salt until very stiff. Preferably using a hand held electric mixer. You should be able to turn the bowl over without the egg whites moving.
- Add cream cheese to the egg yolks and mix well. To make the oopsie more bread-like, add in the optional psyllium seed husk and baking powder.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture— try to keep the air in the egg whites.
- Put 8 oopsies on a paper-lined baking tray.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 25 minutes – until they turn golden.
Building the BLT
- Fry the bacon in a skillet on medium high heat until crispy.
- Place the oopsie bread pieces top-side down.
- Spread 1–2 tablespoon of mayonnaise on each.
- Place lettuce, tomato, some finely chopped fresh basil and fried bacon in layers between the bread halves.
- Serve immediately.
Some of the best slicing heirloom tomatoes are Beefsteak, Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple, and Black Krim. Watch for these at your local farmers' market for a BLT upgrade!