Spicy leftover turkey soup
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- ½ cup (2¾ oz.) 120 ml (80 g) red onion, choppedred onions, chopped
- 3 3 garlic clove, smashedgarlic cloves, smashed
- 1 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and diced, plus more for garnish if desiredfresh jalapeños, seeded and diced, plus more for garnish if desired
- 4 oz. 110 g canned green chili pepper, choppedcanned green chili peppers, chopped
- 2 tsp 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cups 475 ml
- 4 cups 950 ml chicken broth
- ½ lb 220 g leftover chopped whole turkey or whole chicken
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp , for garnish (optional)
- fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- melted ghee, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the ghee or coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the chopped onion. Slowly cook and stir the onion until tender.
- Mix in the garlic, jalapeño, green chili peppers, cumin, oregano and season with cayenne.
- Continue to cook and stir the mixture until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Mix in the tomato sauce, chicken broth and add the turkey or chicken leftovers. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowls and feel free to garnish with sour cream, chopped chives and melted ghee.
Just skip the sour cream and you've got a wonderful dairy-free dish!