- 1½ lbs 700 g ground beef
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 pinches 2 pinches pepper
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 oz. 110 g mozzarella cheese
- butter for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, basil, salt, pepper, and a little cold water. Mix well with your hands or a large wooden fork.
- Form 10 flat patties, about 3–4 inches (8–10 cm) in diameter and ½ inch (1 cm) thick.
- Cut the mozzarella into 10 pieces and place one piece on each patty. Wrap the patty around the cheese and form into a ball.
- Fry in butter on medium heat until the juices run clear.
Turn those juices into a delicious sauce! Just add 1-2 cups of heavy whipping cream to the pan juices and bring it to a boil. Stir and simmer for a few minutes to reduce to desired consistency. You can deepen the flavors even more by adding 1 tablespoon gluten-free Japanese Tamari soy sauce and a little black pepper. Soy sauce is salty all on its own, so if you use it, just hold off on salting the meat.
Note: Because the meat will shrink during frying, some of the cheese might slowly leek out of the balls by the end of the cooking process. We consider that a visually delicious bonus!