Low carb stuffing
Stuffing can still be the BEST part of Thanksgiving. Can you practically smell the bacon, sage and apples wafting through the house? This delicious low carb stuffing is rich, flavorful and gluten-free. Happy Thanksgiving, indeed!
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (220 g) yellow onion, finely choppedyellow onions, finely chopped
- 5 oz. 140 g bacon, diced
- 8 oz. 230 g celery root, diced
- 1 (5¼ oz.) 1 (150 g) apple, gratedapples, grated
- 2 oz. 55 g pecans, chopped
- 2 2 buns or slices of low-carb bread
- 1 cup 240 ml heavy whipping cream
- 2 lbs 900 g ground pork or ground beef
- fresh sage 2-3 sprigs, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter, for greasing the baking dish
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). The recipe will make enough for stuffing the turkey and for a side dish to bake in the oven.
- Brown onions, bacon and celery root in butter, ghee, lard or duck fat until golden.
- Stir in two-thirds of the sage (save the rest for garnish), plus all of the grated apple and pecans. Set aside and let cool.
- Crumble or tear apart the slices of low carb bread in a big bowl and pour the heavy cream on top. Let the bread swell a little.
- Add the ground pork or beef, spices and the browned onion and spice mixture. Toss together, but do not over do it. The stuffing should not be too uniform or compact. Use a large wooden fork or your (clean) hands.
- Place in a greased baking dish and bake in the oven for 25–30 minutes or until the meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Garnish with fresh sage leaves and serve on your Thanksgiving table.
You can replace the celery root with half the amount of celery; 3–4 stalks replace about ½ pound of root.
I don't believe that would be a good option. Cauliflower has MUCH more moisture in it and you would likely end up with very soupy stuffing.
I also always add some dry cranberries for a holidays touch.
For those who don't want to use an apple, mushrooms, shredded zucchini or chayotes is a good substitute.
Great tips, Gween! Here is a link to our Diet Doctor Mug Bread for those who would like to try your idea. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-mug-bread