Stuffing can still be the BEST part of Thanksgiving. Can you practically smell the bacon, sage and apples wafting through the house? This delicious low-carb stuffing is rich, flavorful and gluten-free. Happy Thanksgiving, indeed!
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- 2 2 yellow onion, finely choppedyellow onions, finely chopped
- 51⁄3 oz. 150 g bacon, diced
- 8 oz. 225 g celery root, diced
- 1 1 apple, gratedapples, grated
- 2 oz. 60 g pecans, chopped
- 2 2 slices of low-carb bread
- 1 cup 240 ml heavy whipping cream
- 30 oz. 900 g ground pork
- fresh sage 2-3 sprigs, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter, for greasing the baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). The recipe will make enough for stuffing the turkey and for a side dish to bake in the oven.
- Brown onions, bacon and celery root in butter, ghee, lard or duck fat until golden.
- Stir in two-thirds of the sage (save the rest for garnish), plus all of the grated apple and pecans. Set aside and let cool.
- Crumble or tear apart the slices of low-carb bread in a big bowl and pour the heavy cream on top. Let the bread swell a little.
- Add the ground beef, spices and the browned onion and spice mixture. Toss together, but do not over do it. The stuffing should not be too uniform or compact. Use a large wooden fork or your (clean) hands.
- Place in a greased baking dish and bake in the oven for 25–30 minutes or until the meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Garnish with fresh sage leaves and serve on your Thanksgiving table.
You can replace the celery root with half the amount of celery; 3–4 stalks replace about ½ pound of root.