Low-carb spinach and artichoke soup
- 10 oz. 275 g frozen spinach
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz. 110 g (175 ml) , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 2 2 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 14 oz. 400 g cream cheese
- 4 cups 1 liter chicken stock
- 14 oz. 400 g canned artichokes, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3½ oz. 100 g (150 ml) parmesan cheese flakes
- ½ oz. 15 g (60 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper
- Remove the spinach from the freezer and set aside in a strainer in the sink to thaw. Leave to drain until you are ready to use it.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat and then add the onion and garlic, sautéing until they are translucent and fragrant.
- Add the cream cheese and lower the heat to medium, stirring until the cheese has melted down.
- Squeeze the excess moisture from the spinach and add to the pot. Add the chicken stock one cup at a time, stirring each addition until well combined. Lastly, add the chopped artichoke hearts and stir thoroughly.
- Return to high heat until just boiling then reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and season accordingly.
- Garnish with parmesan flakes, a pinch of salt, black pepper, and chopped parsley.
If you forget to remove the spinach from the freezer beforehand you can run warm water through the strainer to speed up the thawing process.
For more protein, feel free to add left over chicken breast.
If you do not reach the desired consistency (after step 5), leave on the heat and allow the soup to reduce and thicken for a little longer. Alternatively, Arrowroot can be used to thicken the soup (mix 1-2 teaspoons with a small amount with cold water before adding it at step 5).