Keto Italian meatloaf with baked tomatoes and pesto mayo
- 1½ lbs 650 g ground beef, or ground turkey
- 1 1 large egglarge eggs
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tbsp 1½ tbsp unsalted Italian seasoning
- 4 (1 lb) 4 (450 g) small tomato (about 4 oz/ 120 g each), cut in halfsmall tomatoes (about 4 oz/ 120 g each), cut in half
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup 180 ml mayonnaise
- 1½ tbsp 1½ tbsp green pesto
- 2 oz. (1 cup) 55 g (230 ml) leafy greens
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
Meatloaf and tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, and seasonings.
- Shape the meat mixture into a loaf, about 9 x 5" (23 x 12 cm), and place in the middle of the parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with some extra Italian seasoning. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper, and place them around the meatloaf, cut side up. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the meatloaf reaches an internal temperature of 160°F (72°C).
- Cool for about 10 minutes before slicing. Serve the meatloaf with a dollop of pesto mayonnaise, leafy greens drizzled with olive oil and a couple of baked tomato halves.
- Combine the mayonnaise and pesto, in a small bowl. Taste, and season with salt and pepper if needed.
Do you love cheese? Make a trench in the center of the unbaked meatloaf and fill it with mozzarella cheese. Smooth the meat up, around and over the cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with some extra Italian seasoning before putting it in the oven.
Top with some fresh basil leafs when serving for extra flavor.
I have had better results mixing fatty pork and beef and adding shredded zucchini or mushrooms to replace the breadcrumbs of the traditional recipe.
So glad you enjoyed it!
Hi, Melody! If you find yourself hungry soon after a meal, you can try adding more fat to your meals. We generally recommend not worrying about trying to fast when first starting out, though. We recommend eating to hunger. (It's OK to eat 3 meals a day if that's what your body needs!) Usually, fasting will come naturally later on in the process, so for now, listen to your hunger signals and don't force fasting when your body is telling you it's hungry.
The serving suggestions included in the green panel are included in the nutrition information. For this recipe, it is .5 ounces or 1/4 cup of leafy greens. It doesn't sound like much, but by weight .5 ounces will be sufficient for most.
Yes, that should be fine! You can visit any of our meatball recipes to get idea for size and cooking temperature and time. I usually do the opposite - take meatball recipes and make a meatloaf instead!
One comment I must make is I love how DD makes it so easy to work out the weight of each ingredient per serve.xThanks so juch 💖
Thank you for the feedback, I am glad you both enjoyed this so much.
Hi, Carole! That would depend on how much cabbage you add to a serving. If keeping it below 10 carbs for the meal, you should be OK! Be aware of your other carbs for the day, as well.