Crispy tofu sticks with green bean fries and chipotle mayo
- 14 oz. 400 g firm tofu
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp coconut oil
- salt to taste (adjust depending on which other flavorings you are adding)
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp
- 1 tsp 1 tsp desired seasoning such as chili powder or taco seasoning (optional)
- 6 oz. 170 g or wax beans
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp or coconut oil (flavorless)
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup (2 oz.) 60 ml (60 g) vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp 1 tsp
- ½ tsp ½ tsp chipotle powder
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Crispy tofu sticks
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Slice the tofu into sticks, about 0.5" (1 cm). Distribute the tofu on a clean, absorbent kitchen towel or paper towels. Pat dry to remove excess moisture; this step is key for crispiness.
- Add the coconut oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Alternatively, use a regular frying pan and prepare a baking tray with parchment paper.
- When the oil is hot, add the tofu and salt. Fry for a couple of minutes or until the tofu is lightly golden. Add the tamari soy sauce and seasonings of your choice. Stir the tofu, mixing well.
- Transfer the skillet with the tofu to the oven, or transfer the tofu to the parchment-lined baking tray and then put it in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tofu is crispy.
- Wash and trim the green beans. Pat them dry with a paper towel (to avoid oil splatters).
- Heat a large skillet with oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the green beans to the pan and fry for about 5 minutes. They should retain their fresh, natural crunch!
- Place the green beans on a plate with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Season with salt before serving.
- Mix the mayonnaise, tomato paste, and chipotle powder in a small bowl. Add additional seasoning to taste — more chipotle means a spicier sauce.
- Serve right away or let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes or more to allow the flavors to develop.