Cajun crab casserole
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter, for frying
- 1 1 medium , finely choppedmedium , finely chopped
- 5 oz. 150 g celery stalk, finely choppedcelery stalks, finely chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1¼ cups 300 ml mayonnaise
- 4 4 egg, lightly beateneggs, lightly beaten
- 16 oz. 450 g canned crab meat, drained
- 12 oz. 350 g shredded, white cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp 2 tsp paprika powder
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 oz. 75 g leafy greens
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9x12 baking dish.
- Fry chopped onion and celery in butter until translucent. Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, add mayonnaise, eggs, crab meat, seasonings and ⅔ of the shredded cheese. Add the fried onion and celery. Stir to combine and season to taste.
- Add the mixture to the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with salad and olive oil.
This casserole is easy to vary by substituting the crab meat for canned tuna or other cooked fish like mackerel or salmon.
If you would like to make this dish even more gourmet, feel free to use parmesan cheese or gruyere for some extra wonderful layers of flavor.