Do you love flavorful and creamy soups? Do you love mussels? O.M.G. you’re going to LOVE this low carb soup. It’s irresistible!
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- 5 oz. 140 g bacon or pancetta
- 2 2 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) yellow onion, finely choppedyellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 1 bay leafbay leaves
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 8 oz. 230 g rutabaga, diced
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 cup 240 ml water
- 2 cups 475 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 1 fish bouillon cubefish bouillon cubes (optional)
- 8 oz. 230 g canned mussels
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh thyme, for topping (optional)
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Peel and finely chop garlic and onion. Peel and dice the rutabaga.
- Fry the bacon in butter until it's really crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan, but leave the fat.
- Sauté the vegetables in the same pan for a few minutes until golden. Add thyme and bay leaf.
- Add water, bouillon, heavy cream, vinegar, and the mussel juice (optional). Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes or until the rutabaga is soft.
- Pepper and salt to taste. Add the mussels and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve with finely chopped thyme/parsley and the fried bacon.
You can heat cold crispy pancetta or bacon in the microwave oven. Twenty seconds on high is usually enough. Feel free to substitute frozen mussels for the canned.
The cans are 6,5 oz (about 200 g) each. We've updated the recipe now. Thank you!
You can substitute canned oysters or clams if you also like those options.
There may not be a good substitute for the bacon or pancetta. If you need to avoid pork, you could try beef or turkey bacon instead. Celery stalk is very different from the celery root. It's sometimes called celeriac, so you can ask your grocery store's customer service desk if they stock it or can get it for you.
I also used fresh green lipped mussels, I steamed them and then used the liquid in the soup.
Will be making this often!!