- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- 5 oz. 140 g bacon or pancetta
- 2 2 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 1 1 bay leafbay leaves
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 8 oz. 230 g , diced
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 cup 240 ml water
- 2 cups 475 ml
- 1 1 fish bouillon cubefish bouillon cubes (optional)
- 8 oz. 230 g canned mussels
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh thyme, for topping (optional)
- Peel and finely chop garlic and onion. Peel and dice the rutabaga.
- Fry the bacon in butter until it's really crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan, but leave the fat.
- Sauté the vegetables in the same pan for a few minutes until golden. Add thyme and bay leaf.
- Add water, bouillon, heavy cream, vinegar, and the mussel juice (optional). Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes or until the rutabaga is soft.
- Pepper and salt to taste. Add the mussels and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve with finely chopped thyme/parsley and the fried bacon.
You can heat cold crispy pancetta or bacon in the microwave oven. Twenty seconds on high is usually enough.
Feel free to substitute frozen mussels for the canned.