Mediterranean tomato stew with calamari
Hello seafood lovers! Here is Pascale's take on a classic Italian recipe. This warm, fragrant low carb stew is rich with Mediterranean flavor.
- 3 3 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) red onionred onions
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz. (12⁄3 cups) 400 g (400 ml) canned whole tomatoes, peeled
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (230 g) tomatotomatoes
- 1 lb 450 g squid, cleaned
- 1 tsp 1 tsp fresh parsley
- 1 tsp 1 tsp fresh dill
- ½ tsp ½ tsp fresh rosemary
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Mince the garlic and cut the onion into rings. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the canned tomatoes. Fill the empty can with water and add it to the pan. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the fresh tomatoes into cubes. Slice the squid into rings. Add the squid and fresh tomatoes to the tomato sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the squid is cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the herbs and add them to the soup right before serving.
If you like rosemary, you can cook it in the oil with the garlic from the beginning. This will produce a more pronounced rosemary flavor.
About the recipe
This recipe is part of a collaboration with Pascale Naessens and comes from her book "Pure & Simple"