Beef sirloin with tarragon butter and creamy gratin
- 1 lb 450 g
- ½ lb 220 g turnip
- 3 oz. (2⁄3 cup) 85 g (160 ml) carrotcarrots
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1¾ cups 425 ml
- ½ cup (11⁄3 oz.) 120 ml (40 g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 5 oz. 140 g butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp 2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp 1 tsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 lbs 900 g sirloin steaksirloin steaks
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- salt and ground black pepper
- 5½ oz. (2¾ cups) 160 g (700 ml) leafy greens
- 6 (3½ oz.) 6 (100 g) cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Peel and slice the root vegetables thinly. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan, press in the garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat and add the root vegetables. Let simmer for 10 minutes on medium-high heat. Stir in the shredded parmesan, saving a small amount of topping. Distribute the gratin into a baking dish or individual ramekins. Top with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes while you prepare the meat and the butter. You can also prepare the gratin the day before and heat it up before serving. Raise the heat or turn on the grill function towards the end for a nice golden result.
- Melt one-third of the butter on medium heat until it turns amber in color and smells nutty. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Add tarragon, vinegar, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk the remaining butter into the melted butter and keep whipping with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Keep in the refrigerator but bring to room temperature 15 minutes before serving.
- Pat the meat dry with a kitchen towel. Rub with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Put in a greased oven dish. Insert a meat thermometer in the thickest part. Roast in the middle of the oven until the inner temperature reaches 130°F (54°C), which takes about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow rest for a few minutes. Cut into slices. Serve with leafy greens, some tarragon butter, and creamy gratin.
If you choose to use individually portioned steaks, sear them first in a hot pan with butter. 2-3 minutes per side. Then finish in the oven 400°F (200°C) for a few minutes until meat reaches your desired temperature.