Portuguese octopus salad
- 7 oz. 200 g cooked octopus
- ½ (¼ oz.) ½ (7.5 g) , chopped, chopped
- ½ (2½ oz.) ½ (70 g) , chopped, chopped
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (60 g) , chopped, chopped
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup (¼ oz.) 120 ml (8 g) , roughly chopped
- Cut the octopus in about 0.5 inch (1 cm) slices and prep the vegetables.
- Place all the ingredients in a salad bowl or a tray and add the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix the ingredients.
- Chop the cilantro and sprinkle it over the salad. Cool in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before serving.
This salad can be kept for a couple of days in the fridge in an airtight container as long as it has not been seasoned with the dressing.
How to cook the octopus
If you prefer to cook the octopus yourself, you can do it in the following way:
Clean the octopus by first removing the guts . To do this, turn the head upside down and remove the insides and the beak with the help of scissors. Follow by rinsing each leg thoroughly with cold water.
Bring a large pot to a boil. Once boiling, take the octopus by the head, submerge the legs for about 4 seconds, then remove them. Repeat this three or four times to "scare" the octopus so that the skin does not come off during cooking.
Once the octopus has been "scared", immerse it completely in the water and cover. Leave to cook for about 15 minutes per kilo of weight. Check that it is tender enough by pricking the base of one of the legs with a skewer or toothpick. It should go in without resistance.
Once ready, remove from the water and proceed as indicated in the recipe.