Loaded cauliflower mash
- 1½ lbs 650 g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 oz. 55 g butter, room temperature
- 4 oz. 110 g cream cheese, room temperature
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 oz. 110 g bacon, chopped
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ oz. (21⁄3 tbsp) 14 g (33 ml) , thinly sliced, thinly sliced
- ½ cup 120 ml
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Set aside an 8 x 8" (20 x 20 cm) baking dish, or individual, oven-to-table baking dishes.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil, over high heat. Add the cauliflower and boil for a few minutes until the florets are tender, yet retain a semi-firm texture. Strain the cauliflower in a colander and discard the water.
- Using a food processor or an immersion blender, blend the cauliflower, butter, and cream cheese together until it becomes a smooth and creamy consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry the bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat, for 10-15 minutes, or until crispy. Place bacon on paper towels to absorb excess fat.
- Transfer the cauliflower mash to the baking dish(es) and top with cheddar cheese and bacon. Bake on the middle rack, for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbling. Garnish the loaded cauliflower with sour cream and scallions, and serve on the side with the steaks.
Recommended special equipment
- Blender or food processor