Lentil coconut curry with eggs
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) yellow onion, dicedyellow onions, diced
- 4 4 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp coriander, ground
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups 475 ml vegetable stock
- 14 oz. 400 g coconut milk
- salt to taste
- 5½ oz. (¾ cup) 160 g (200 ml) French green lentils
- 8 8 eggeggs
- 4 oz. (32⁄3 cups) 110 g (850 ml) baby spinach
- ½ cup (¼ oz.) 120 ml (8 g) fresh cilantro
- 2 oz. (61⁄3 tbsp) 55 g (90 ml) slivered almonds, toasted
- Dice the yellow onion and finely chop the garlic.
- Heat a big pot or wok over medium-high heat. When hot, add the oil, onion, garlic, and ginger. Stir while frying to prevent the mixture from burning.
- When the onion is soft, add the curry powder, ground coriander, turmeric, and tomato paste. Fry for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk. Season with salt to taste. Add the lentils. Lower the heat to medium-low and cover; simmer for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. Stir occasionally.
- While the stew is simmering, prepare the eggs. Bring a pot of water to boil. Gently lower the eggs into the pot with a large spoon. Boil for 10 minutes, then transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water and let them cool for 5 minutes before peeling.
- Add the baby spinach to the stew and stir. When wilted, add the whole eggs and stir gently, so they're covered in the stew without falling apart. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve the stew (two eggs per serving) in bowls, and garnish with cilantro and slivered almonds.
French green lentils and puy lentils have the highest amount of protein. You can also use regular green or red lentils; however, bear in mind that the macros will change.
To toast the almonds, place them in a dry skillet and toast over medium heat. Keep a close eye on them and stir regularly to keep them from burning. They're ready when golden.
Freeze in individual servings for up to 3 months.
So glad you love it, Stacy!