Keto carbonara with zoodles
- 1 cup 240 ml
- 11 oz. 300 g bacon or pancetta, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1¾ lbs 800 g , zoodles
- 4 4 egg yolkegg yolks
- 1 cup (2¾ oz.) 240 ml (80 g) shredded Parmesan cheese, save some for serving
- Use a spiralizer to create zucchini noodles (zoodles). If you don’t have a spiralizer, a potato peeler can be used instead to create slightly wider zoodles.
- Fry the bacon in a large frying pan until crispy.
- When done, set aside the whole pan and allow it to cool.
- Pour heavy cream into a different saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat and gently boil until the cream has reduced by approximately one quarter.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the cream to cool, stir occasionally to prevent skin from forming.
- In a separate bowl (while the cream is reducing), combine the egg yolks, cooked diced bacon, including the fat, and parmesan cheese.
- Add the egg-bacon-parmesan cheese mixture to the slightly warm sauce, stirring continuously to ensure the egg mixture does not curdle or scramble. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the saucepan to medium-low heat to gently warm the sauce. Add the zoodles to the saucepan and warm through (1-2 minutes).
To serveDivide the carbonara into portions. Top with a generous amount of freshly grated parmesan.
Vegetarian keto carbonara
You can easily turn this recipe into a vegetarian keto dish! Just skip the bacon and add some olive oil to your keto carbonara after combining the zoodles with the parmesan mixture.
Recommended special equipment