Keto Pasta Carbonara with Zoodles
- 1¼ cups 300 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter
- 10 oz. 275 g bacon or pancetta, diced
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs 900 g
- 4 4 egg yolkegg yolks
- 3 oz. 75 g grated parmesan cheese, some more for serving
- Use a spiralizer to create zucchini noodles (zoodles). If you don’t have a spiralizer, a potato peeler can be used instead to create slightly wider zoodles.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over a medium heat. Add bacon and fry until crispy.
- Set aside the bacon in the pan, including the fat, and allow it to cool.
- Pour heavy cream into a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat and continue to gently boil until the cream has reduced down by approximately one quarter.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the cream to reduce in temperature, stir occasionally to prevent a skin from forming.
- In a separate bowl (while the cream is reducing), combine the egg yolks, cooked diced bacon including the fat, and parmesan cheese.
- Add the egg-bacon-parmesan cheese mixture to the just warm sauce, stirring continuously to ensure the egg mixture does not scramble. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the saucepan to medium-low heat to gently warm the sauce. Add the zoodles to the saucepan and warm through (1-2 minutes).
To serveDivide the carbonara up into portions and plate. Top with a generous amount of freshly grated parmesan.
Vegetarian keto carbonara
You can easily turn this recipe into a vegetarian keto dish! You can just skip the bacon and instead you can add some olive oil to your keto carbonara after combining the zoodles with the parmesan mixture.