Keto carbonara with zoodles
- 1 cup 240 ml
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- 11 oz. 300 g bacon or pancetta, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1¾ lbs 800 g , zoodles
- 4 4 egg yolkegg yolks
- 1 cup (2¾ oz.) 240 ml (80 g) shredded Parmesan cheese, save some for serving
- Use a spiralizer to create zucchini noodles (zoodles). If you don’t have a spiralizer, a potato peeler can be used instead to create slightly wider zoodles.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add bacon and fry until crispy.
- Set aside the bacon in the pan, including the fat, and allow it to cool.
- Pour heavy cream into a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat and continue to gently boil until the cream has reduced down by approximately one quarter.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the cream to reduce in temperature, stir occasionally to prevent a skin from forming.
- In a separate bowl (while the cream is reducing), combine the egg yolks, cooked diced bacon including the fat, and parmesan cheese.
- Add the egg-bacon-parmesan cheese mixture to the just warm sauce, stirring continuously to ensure the egg mixture does not scramble. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the saucepan to medium-low heat to gently warm the sauce. Add the zoodles to the saucepan and warm through (1-2 minutes).
To serveDivide the carbonara up into portions and plates. Top with a generous amount of freshly grated parmesan.
Recommended special equipment
Vegetarian keto carbonara
You can easily turn this recipe into a vegetarian keto dish! You can just skip the bacon and instead you can add some olive oil to your keto carbonara after combining the zoodles with the parmesan mixture.