Crunchy spiced chickpeas
- 1 lb (3 cups) 450 g (700 ml) canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp 2 tsp za'atar (optional)
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then pat them dry. The drier they are, the crunchier they will be.
- Spread them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with za’atar seasoning or another seasoning of your choice.
- Roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway. Remove from the oven when crunchy and sprinkle with salt while still hot.
Za'atar is a traditional Middle Eastern spice blend with herby, lemony notes. If you don't have it, you can make a substitute by combining the following: 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, and 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest.