Clara’s delicious low carb huevos rancheros
Spice it up at breakfast time with these Mexican-style eggs. Clara's version keeps it low carb and satisfying: fried eggs, a zesty tomato salsa with jalapeños and cheese, and avocado. It's a perfectly delicious way to start your day!
- ½ cup 120 ml olive oil
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) white onion, mincedwhite onions, minced
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 2 2 fresh jalapeño, mincedfresh jalapeños, minced
- 2 cups (1 lb) 475 ml (475 g) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp 1 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 8 8 eggeggs
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Heat one third of the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the jalapeños cooking until they becomes slightly tender. Then add the onion and garlic, and cook stirring until the onions start to become translucent.
- Pour in the tomatoes and lower the heat. Simmer covered until the tomato is cooked through and the mixture has reduced to a thick sauce.
- Season with some of the salt and pepper to taste, remove it from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium temperature in a frying pan. Fry the eggs one at a time until the white has set and the egg has a crispy edge and runny yolk.
- Sprinkle the eggs with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Serve the eggs on the tomato sauce, and garnish with the queso fresco and cilantro. Serve with avocado on the side.
The yellow circle indicates that this is a moderate low carb recipe. Our moderate low carb recipes are higher in carb count than our green circle keto recipes. You may find this helpful.