Clara’s delicious low-carb huevos rancheros
- ½ cup 120 ml olive oil
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) white onion, mincedwhite onions, minced
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 2 2 fresh jalapeño, mincedfresh jalapeños, minced
- 2 cups (1 lb) 475 ml (475 g) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp 1 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 8 8 eggeggs
- Heat one third of the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the jalapeños cooking until they becomes slightly tender. Then add the onion and garlic, and cook stirring until the onions start to become translucent.
- Pour in the tomatoes and lower the heat. Simmer covered until the tomato is cooked through and the mixture has reduced to a thick sauce.
- Season with some of the salt and pepper to taste, remove it from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium temperature in a frying pan. Fry the eggs one at a time until the white has set and the egg has a crispy edge and runny yolk.
- Sprinkle the eggs with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Serve the eggs on the tomato sauce, and garnish with the queso fresco and cilantro. Serve with avocado on the side.
Clara has chosen jalapeños for this dish because they are easy to find outside of Mexico, and are fairly mild. Likewise, queso fresco (a mild, unaged cheese) can be difficult to find outside of the Hispanic world. In that case, a very mild feta will be an adequate substitute.
Clara considers this a mildly-spicy dish, but your tolerance for spicy hot food may be different. You may want to clean the jalapeños of the seeds and white membrane beforehand to make the sauce milder, as most of the heat comes from these. Or you can use your favorite hot sauce to taste if you prefer.